Post, Texas, founded in 1907 by cereal magnate Charles William Post, was truly a dream city. His vision drew him to one of the most beautiful locations in West Texas – the area where the head waters of both arms of the Brazos River join to outline the scenic Caprock escarpment of the Llano Estacado. Here C.W. Post carved a county of our nature’s provisions which provided a home for cattlemen, plentiful oil and bountiful cotton. Within this historic town, C.W. Post envisioned a community that might enrich the citizens with cultural offerings. Most of the Most of the downtown buildings in Post today were constructed between 1907 and 1937.
Garza County Historical Museum
The Garza County Historical Museum collection is housed in the original Post Sanitarium building, a colonial style two-story building built in 1912. The museum pays tribute to the ranching heritage, oil industry and other economic history of Garza County as well as the local history of athletics, government and Native American influence. The second floor exhibit includes office furniture and art from the Battle Creek, Michigan office of the town’s founding father C. W. Post. The museum received the 2011 Western Museum Award. It is located at 119 North Avenue N in Post and is open
Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. to Noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Call 806-495-2207 for more information.
This repurposed historical building (1912) was originally a boarding house for nurses who worked at the Post Sanitorium. In 2007 the Caprock Cultural Association, a local non-profit completed a renovation of the building and it now has a parlor and dining room that is available to rent for small social gatherings and a large meeting room that can seat 100 for dinner, wedding reception or a conference. For more information call or email theHeritage House.
Santa Fe Depot (Restored)
The 33’ x 106’ depot building was built in 1910 and the first train entered Post on January 15, 1911. The train backed into town since the engineer wanted a forward pull on the climb up the Caprock to the plains and there weren’t any “train turns” in Post. Local history reports that founder C.W. Post paid $50,000 to the Santa Fe Railroad to entice them to bring train service through Post. The building was designed by internationally acclaimed architect, Louis Curtiss. The depot is now home to the Post Area Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center
Historic Main Street
The brick street of our historic Main Street is lined with shops offering antiques, home décor, furniture, fashion and cool stuff that defies description.
While a portion of Main Street has developed into a traditional boulevard with an attractive median dividing east/west traffic, the portion of Main Street west of the Garza County Courthouse is known as the widest residential street in Texas. It was intentionally designed by Mr. Post to be wide enough so during the building of the city a wagon and 16-mule team could turn in the street.
OS Art Museum
The OS Museum was created to showcase the wonderful art and artifacts that the Giles McCrary family has amassed through their extensive travels around the world. Exhibits are changed three times a year and rotated to continually delight visitors. Located on the second floor of the original C.W. Post Land and Cattle Company building, 201 East Main St., the museum has elevator access. Free admission.
C.W. Post Home
This building was constructed in 1912 as a home for the town’s founder. The house has solid oak doors and woodwork, redwood floors and leather wallpaper. Mr. Post died in 1914 and never lived in the house. Today, the home is beautifully maintained by the Hudman family and houses Hudman Funeral Home.
Garza Theater Building
Built in 1916, this building housed a movie theater until it closed in 1955. The theater was boarded for the 41 years of professional theater experience. McCrary recruited actors from the community and spearheaded fundraising efforts to restore the theater. For 25 seasons the theater thrived as a community theater until late 2011 when structural problems developed. Now the building is closed to the public.
The grand opening of the Tower in 1950 featured the movie “Louisa” starring Ronald Reagan and Spring Byington. Advertising for the theater touted modern “push-back seats” and “scientific air conditioning.” The theater also had a 9-seat crying room for fretting babies. The balcony contained 80 seats for “Negroes and Latin Americans.” Admission was 50 cents for adults and 12 cents for children.
In later years, the Tower was a venue for opry-style entertainment and celebrity impersonators and for a time in the mid-2000s first-run movies were shown. The Tower is now used by the Post High School Theater Department for play festivals and other live performances.
The brick plaza was established as part of the Centennial Celebration in 2007. In addition to a tribute to military veterans, engraved bricks recognize pioneer families, remember outstanding citizens and acknowledge elected officials and businesses. The bricks in the plaza are from the original streets of Post. Information for obtaining inscribed bricks is available at www.postcitytexas.com.